Des Moines Pumpkin Claims State Fair Giant Crown
DES MOINES, IA (08/19/2019) (readMedia)-- The super sized pumpkin grown by Don Young and Tammy Rhodes of Des Moines bested the competition to claim first place and a $1850 cash award in the Giant Pumpkin competition, judged Friday, August 9, at the 2019 Iowa State Fair.
Complete results follow:
1) 760 lbs. - Don Young and Tammy Rhodes, Des Moines, $1850
2) 698 lbs. – Pete Caspers, Peosta, $800
3) 397 lbs. – Erin Harrington, Blakesburg, $450
4) 380 lbs. – Dave David, Bloomfield, $250
5) 368 lbs. – David Miller, Riverside, $150
6) 360 lbs. – Paul Harrington, Blakesburg, $100
7) 358 lbs. – Martin Schnicker, Mt. Pleasant, $50
8) 293 lbs. – Jackie Davis, Bloomfield, $50
The Iowa State Fair record is 1323 pounds set in 2010.
All exhibitor entries were products of the exhibitor's apiary unless otherwise specified. Entries will be on display throughout the Fair from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. in the John Deere Agriculture Building sponsored by Alliant Energy.
The Iowa State Fair is one of the oldest and largest agricultural and industrial expositions in the country and the single largest event in the state. The Fair began over 160 years ago and is now considered one of the best events in the nation, attracting more than one million Fairgoers every year from all over the world. The Fairgrounds are located at East 30th and East University, just off the interstate and minutes from Downtown Des Moines. Nothing Compares to State Fair Favorites: August 8-18, 2019. For more information, visit www.iowastatefair.org.