Local History Conference Set for November 4, 2017
Two Panel Discussions on Disaster Planning and Confederate Monuments
BATAVIA, NY (10/10/2017) The Genesee Community College History Club and Genesee County Federation of Historical Agencies is sponsoring a local history conference at GCC in Batavia on Saturday, November 4, 2017 from 8:30 AM until approximately 3:30 PM in room T102 of the Conable Technology Building at GCC's Batavia Campus. Public and private historians are welcome as well as history buffs of all ages.
"We have put together a day of interesting programs that should appeal to a wide variety of history-minded folk," according to Derek Maxfield, GCC associate professor of history, history club advisor and president of the Genesee County Federation of Historical Agencies. "I am especially interested in the session on disaster planning and the panel discussion about the Confederate monument controversy."
Conference sessions will include:
- 8:30-9:15 AM Coffee clutch
- 9:15-10:00 AM State of History in Genesee County/Dr. Michael Eula, Genesee County Historian
- 10:15-11:00 AM Tracing Lineal Heritage/Daughters of the Revolution
- 11:00-12:15 PM Disaster Planning for Historical Organizations and Museums/Panel discussion
- 12:15-1:00 PM LUNCH - Room T119 A&B
- 1:15-2:30 PM Considering Confederate Statues, Memorials & Symbols/Panel discussion moderated by Prof. Derek Maxfield
Historical agencies and museums are invited to set up displays for visitors to browse. Registration is $25.00 and includes a box lunch. If you wish to attend the sessions without lunch, the registration is $12.00. Please indicate your sandwich preference when registering. Registration will close at 11:59 PM on October 30th. Those not wishing to have lunch may register the day of the event and pay at the door.
For the registration form, go to: https://gcchistoricalhorizons.wordpress.com/2017/10/05/gcc-history-club-to-sponsor-local-history-conference/
Anyone with questions should contact Prof. Derek Maxfield - email@example.com or call 585-343-0055 ext. 6288.