New York Not-for-Profits – STILL fighting and won't back down!
ALBANY, NY (07/26/2010)(readMedia)-- New York Not-for-Profits – STILL fighting and won't back down!
What: Three weeks ago, Governor Paterson vetoed discretionary funding that many non-profits receive to provide critical services. These vetoes eliminated unspent funds for the 2010 fiscal year and previous years that could be appropriated to many not-for-profits to save their programs. Numerous Statewide organizations will join together to urge Gov. David Paterson, the New York State Assembly and Senate to restart 3-way budget negations in order to rescind some or all of the cuts on the chopping block.
Who: Advocates, program providers, personal testimonials from New Yorkers affected by the Governor's cuts. Speakers include:
• Brittany Allen, NY AIDS Coalition
• Earl Eichelberger, NYS Catholic Conference
• Denise Harlow, NYS Community Action Association
• Michael Borges, NY Library Association
• Laurie Cole, NYS Council for Community Behavioral Healthcare
• Elizabeth Bliss, NYS Coalition Against Domestic Violence
• Frank Mauro, Fiscal Policy Institute
• Ron Deutsch, New Yorkers for Fiscal Fairness
New Yorkers for Fiscal Fairness
In a statewide attempt to draw attention to these crucial cuts, other press conferences will be occurring in New York City and Westchester coupled with a statewide week of call-ins to the Governor and Legislature. We need our leaders to guide us out of this recession, not by cutting services to New York’s most vulnerable, but by negotiating with other elected officials to restore these funds!
|WHEN:||Tuesday July 27, 2010 at 11:00AM Eastern Time (US & Canada)|
Albany, New York