Paul Smith's College announces juried art show winners
PAUL SMITHS, NY (07/14/2016)(readMedia)-- Paul Smith's College honored the winners of its annual juried art show and sale, "Life on the Lakes," last Sunday during an artist reception at the Paul Smith's College VIC.
The following artists were honored:
- Best in Show: "Renewal" by Edith Urban.
- First Place Photograph: "Early Morning on Lake Kiwassa" by Jim Abendroth.
- First Place Other Medium: "A Part of the Adirondacks" by Sandra A. Young.
- People's Choice Award: "Loon on Arbutus Pond" by Mark Twery.
- "Marsh Grass" by Catherine Hartung.
- "Brown Trout" by Sage Mackenzie.
- "Ice Castle Detail" by Jim Bullard.
- "Flirtation Island Lake George" by Melba Tacy.
"Our juror, Jeanne Danforth, chose a body of work that ranged from the traditional to the unusual, from oil on canvas to acrylic on mashed aluminum cans," said Lee Ann Sporn, juried show coordinator. "Award winners included professionals, students and artists entering their first juried show. Ms. Danforth chose as Best in Show an oil painting by Edith Urban, titled 'Renewal,' which she felt skillfully captured the essence of 'what it's like out there.'"
Artists from as far away as New Hampshire submitted a total of 63 pieces for consideration in this year's show. Danforth selected 45 for the exhibit. The event was catered by Vicky Breyette, executive chef at the Adirondack Palm at Paul Smith's College.
The art show and sale will remain on display at the Paul Smith's College VIC until Aug. 1.
About Paul Smith's College
At Paul Smith's College, it's about the experience. We are the only four-year institution of higher education in the Adirondacks. Our programs – in fields including hospitality, culinary arts, forestry, natural resources, entrepreneurship and the sciences – draw on industries and resources available in our own backyard while preparing students for successful careers anywhere. For more information, visit paulsmiths.edu.