SUNY Delhi 96th Commencement at a Glance
DELHI, NY (05/25/2013)(readMedia)-- SUNY Delhi held its 96th Annual SUNY Delhi Commencement May 25, 10 a.m. in Floyd L. Maines Arena, Clark Field House, awarding 439 associate's degrees, 152 baccalaureate degrees and 24 certificates.
The Class of 2013 has the special distinction as the college's Centennial Class. Graduates included students enrolled at SUNY Delhi branch campuses at Schenectady County Community College, Onondaga Community College, Suffolk Community College and Tompkins Cortland Community College.
Student speakers included:
• Sara Ruth Shafer of Vestal, Student of the Year-Associate Degree, Veterinary Science Technology
• Oswald Vallancourt Bowman, III of Brooklyn, Student of the Year-Baccalaureate Degree, Hotel and Resort Management
President Candace S. Vancko recognized graduates receiving Recognition of Community Service Honors, graduates who served their country in the Armed Forces, and two graduates earning the Chancellor's Scholar-Athlete Award, the State University's highest honor for student athletes:
• Stefan Bock, a Business Administration major from Staten Island who helped lead the men's basketball team to a 58-11 record over the past two seasons
• Peter Schweitzer, a Liberal Arts major from Poughquag who placed third in the 1,500-meters at the NJCAA Division III finals and was a member of the 4x800 meter relay team that also captured third place at nationals
John Caparella, Class of 1978, was awarded an Honorary Degree of Doctor of Humane Letters.
SUNY Delhi College Council who were present: Chair Nancy Deming, Jhilmil Ghaleb, Katherine Mario, and Oswald Bowman.
• President Candace S. Vancko to the Class of 2013: "You have earned a special place in Delhi as Centennial graduates. We are extremely proud of SUNY Delhi's 100 years of Inspiring Minds and Changing Lives and as Centennial graduates, you are now part of the college's illustrious history ."
• John Caparella '78, Honorary Doctorate Recipient: "President Vancko talked about some of the great achievements of this college and I have to tell you that I am fortunate to have been affiliated since I graduated in 1978 and continue to stay active and involved. I am richly rewarded by that."
• Sara Ruth Shafer, Student of the Year – Associate Degree: "Sometimes you don't know where you're going until you get there. We are constantly evolving and changing. Every person you meet, and every experience you have, impacts the person you will become."
• Oswald Vallancourt Bowman, Student of the Year – Baccalaureate Degree: "I want to take this honor and share my award for Student of the Year because it shouldn't just go to one, because we are all doing something here. From the construction and the architecture students who spend their entire time in Smith Hall to the culinary students who shed blood, sweat and tears in the kitchen to the vet sci students who bust their tails to the students who work to support themselves and to the students who work to support their families...we are all givers."