Carpenter Elected to Lead NYS Public Transit Association
ALBANY, NY (10/20/2016)(readMedia)-- (Albany, NY) – Bill Carpenter, President and CEO of the Regional Transit Service (RTS) serving Greater Rochester and Genesee, Livingston, Monroe, Ontario, Orleans, Seneca, Wayne and Wyoming Counties, has been elected President of the New York Public Transit Association (NYPTA). The vote was taken during NYPTA's Transit, Technology & Smarter Communities & Expo held this week in Albany.
Carpenter will begin a two year term next month. He had been serving as the Association's Vice President and Legislative Committee Chair. "I am truly honored and excited for the opportunity to continue the work of my predecessors," Carpenter said. "NYPTA is an outstanding organization and a vital cog in New York's economy and the daily lives of millions of its people. It's a tremendous base from which to continue our growth and service," he added.
Outgoing President Carm Basile said "Bill has been a valuable resource in helping us extend our reach and increase the services we provide our customers. His election is deserved and well earned."
Basile is completing his sixth year as NYPTA President. "Carm has gone 'above and beyond' in leading this organization," said Carpenter. "The respect for NYPTA in the industry and in the eyes of government leaders and the riding public is a direct result of his leadership, vision and passion for this organization. Carm and I have worked well together during his time at the helm of NYPTA. I have learned a lot from him and that has prepared me for this next step," he added.
Joining Carpenter as Executive Officers are:
- Tom George, Vice President (Director of Public Transportation, NFTA)
- Leslie Leone, Treasurer (Assistant General Manager, Centro of Oneida)
- Greg Kilmer, Secretary, (Commissioner, Broome County)
- Carm Basile, Past President (Chief Executive Officer, CDTA)
Four members of the NYPTA Board of Directors were re-elected to new two year terms:
- Buddy Coleman (Executive Vice President, Clever Devices)
- Tim Ellis (Director of Legislative Affairs, MTA)
- Michael Shine (Grants Specialist, Rockland County DPT)
- Scott Sobczyk ( Transportation Director, GGFT)
They join the following Board members whose terms expire in 2017:
- Naomi Klein, Director of Planning, Westchester County Department of Public Works and Transportation
- Richard Lee, Chief Administrative Officer, Central NY Regional Transportation Authority
- Ray Melleady, Managing Director-North America, USSC Group
- Cynthia Ruiz, Transit Administrator, Dutchess County Mass Transit
- Michael Setzer, Chief Executive Officer, NICE Bus
They NYPTA Board of Directors also includes designated members:
- Jim Dubbs, Assistant Director, Research & Legislation, MTA, NYCT
- Dwight Mengel, Chief Transportation Planner, Tompkins County
- Jerry Sheehan, Regional Sales Manager, Gillig, LLC
NYPTA also noted, with special thanks, Board members Jim Dubbs (NTA, NYCT) and Robert DiBella (Ulster County) who are retiring this fall, and fondly remembered Joe Turcotte (TCAT) who passed away earlier this year.
The New York Public Transit Association, Inc. (NYPTA) is a not-for-profit association representing more than 40 transit systems across New York State including the MTA, the largest public transportation systems in the nation, the four upstate authorities, downstate systems outside of the MTA, and the transportation systems that serve rural upstate New York communities.
# # #