Nazareth College Music Department to present holiday PRISM concert, Sunday, December 4
ROCHESTER, NY (11/13/2016)(readMedia)-- The Nazareth College Music Department and the Nazareth College Ensembles are pleased to present the Holiday PRISM Concert on Sunday, December 4, 2016 at 3 p.m. in Linehan Chapel.
The concert will feature Nazareth's Brass Ensemble, Chamber Singers, Chamber Orchestra, Guitar Quartet, Jazz Combo, Saxophone Ensemble, Symphony Orchestra, Violin Quartet, and Woodwind Ensemble-performing a wide array of music. The performance will conclude with Leroy Anderson's A Christmas Festival, consisting of nine popular Christmas melodies.
Because of the nature of a PRISM concert-during which each ensemble seamlessly follows the previous in surround sound-the performers will be staged throughout the venue, with the audience seated amongst the ensembles.
This event is free and open to the public.
The concert program includes:
- Sleigh Ride, arr. Chris Van Hof, Brass Ensemble (Jeremy Stoner, director)
- Ukranian Carol, Traditional/arr. N. Strelau, Chamber Orchestra (Nancy Strelau, director)
- Canzona per Sonare no. 2, Giovanni Gabrieli/arr. Mark Scatterday, Saxophone Ensemble (Chisato Eda Marling, director)
- In dulci jubilo, J.S. Bach/arr. Gary Bricault, Saxophone Ensemble (Chisato Eda Marling, director
- Czech Suite, Dvorak, Woodwind Ensemble (Jared Chase, director)
- Zowie Went the Weasel, Violin Quartet
- Skater, Jazz Combo (Brad Batz, director)
- African Noel, arr. Andre Thomas, Nazareth College Chamber Singers (Mark Zeigler, director)
- A Christmas Festival, Leroy Anderson, Nazareth College Symphony Orchestra (Nancy Strelau, director)
About the Nazareth College Music Department
The Music Department at Nazareth College integrates intensive studies in music (musicianship and performance), with professional programs and the liberal arts, for a truly unique experience that prepares students for careers in music and equips them with the skills to share the art of music in a variety of capacities.
Each degree program is designed to prepare students not only for careers within the various degree areas, but also for exciting endeavors that will perpetuate and sustain the art of music in local and global communities.
The department is a vibrant community of musicians focused on the art of music, the professional domains of knowledge within the musical career areas, and the relationship of these areas to the liberal arts.
About Nazareth College
Nazareth College's academic strengths cross an unusually broad spectrum of 60 majors, including education, health and human services, management, the fine arts, music, theater, math and science, foreign languages, and the liberal arts. The coeducational, religiously independent, classic campus in a charming suburb of Rochester, N.Y. challenges and supports 2,000 undergrads and 800 graduate students. Nazareth is recognized nationally for its Fulbright global student scholars and commitment to civic engagement. Rigorous programs, an uncommon core, experiential learning, career skills, and a global focus prepare graduates for not just one job, but for their life's work.
# # #