Statement from Chief Paul D. Martin, New York State Office of Fire Prevention and Control:
ALBANY, NY (03/01/2012)(readMedia)-- "Investigators from the Office of Fire Prevention and Control, in conjunction with the Albany Fire Department and the New York State Police, have concluded that the cause of the fire yesterday in the Corning Tower was an accident. The fire, which caused significant damage to an office in the Wadsworth Health Lab, was caused by an electrical space heater under an employee's desk. No chemicals or other hazardous substances were involved.
"The Office of Fire Prevention and Control reminds the public that portable electric heaters can be a fire or electric shock hazard when not used properly. Many fires and resulting damage can be prevented by moving portable heaters away from nearby combustible materials and by turning off the heater when not in the immediate area. To learn more about using portable heaters safely or for other information about fire safety in the home and workplace, please visit www.dhses.ny.gov/ofpc."